On This Day
This building emerged today (June 2nd 1931) when the Prince's Arcade at the top of Woolshops was formally opened for business. It ran down from the main entrance in Market Street (where W.H.Smith is nowadays) parallel to Woolshops and there was a smaller exit on to Woolshops at the bottom, shown in the third picture here.
The arcade was a Halifax Corporation scheme to improve the whole area at the top of Woolshops and it was designed by the Borough Architect of the time. It contained 27 shops (must of course mention Riley's record shop visible on the right here) and stood until 1983 when it was replaced by the new Woolshops scheme but retaining pretty much the orginal design which has been incoprorated into W.H. Smith's.
Thanks to Tony Martin