Horton-Street Wards-End Blackledge
For this page, we have built the walkthrough from Barum top down Fountain Street and Ward's End to the bottom of Horton Street and then included Blackledge between the Imperial Crown and the Square Theatre.
Although there was no historic evidence of a fountain at this point of town, the area of Wards End was once ta large open space. This was long before Prescott Fountain existed. A house in Wards End had ten or twelve troughs in the wall and would have been very suitable for a drinking fountain. Here was also a small reservoir which was supplied by an under ground stream all the way from Well Head which also supplied water to another small reservoir above the Old Cock Yard.
A stone square trough was then built near the centre of the open space and the road changed it's name from Doctor Lane to Fountain Street. This would also be the reason for the name of the 'Stone Trough Brewery'. This trough was replaced by an eight sided trough and eventually replaced again on September 12th 1884 by Prescott Fountain.
Fountain Street was once the starting point for all tram services travelling to King Cross
Looking down Horton Street
Looking up Horton Street
End of Clare Road/ top of New Road
This row of buildings on Horton Street was constructed in c.1903, comprising a cafe, three shops with workroom, a bakery and stores, according to Halifax Corporation Building Plans index. The buildings are contemporary with Nos. 8 to 12 Horton Street which adjoin them to the west, and replaced earlier buildings as the area became less industrial and more commercial in character.
Summerville House on the right
Read about "A disaster at India Buildings"
Do you have a great story about this? Share it!