Top half of Southowram Bank
The picture above and below would be half way up Southowram Bank with Beacon Hill Road above.
Often mistaken for Castlemaine House but this is No's 64,66 and 68 Southowram Bank, half way up the bank in a similar area as the picture below.
Some things never change. It seems car drivers still haven't learned that even the modern 4x4s are out of control on steep icy/snowy hills.
This path(seen here centre/right) leads round the back of what used to be St Micheals Church(hidden behind the trees) and you can still see grave-stone-like markers which are perhaps church boundary markers.
Robert Parker planted a number of trees on the bare hillside, but, with the coming of the mills and factories, these were killed off by the pollution from the town. Most of the trees and shrubs which can today be seen on the hillside are the results of reafforestation to mark the Halifax centenary in 1948 – when over 500 trees were planted – during the campaign organised by Charles Holdsworth in 1949, and more in 1956. In the early 1970s, members of the Halifax Civic Trust began to plant trees and shrubs – mainly broom and willow.
Above - St Micheals and All Angels Church
As we climb Southowram Bank we reach Blaithroyd Lane on our right. The pictures above and below show the bottom side entrance to Blaithroyd
The house with the sign above the door was once the 'Lane End' pub.
Blaithroyd Court is on the right hand side of Blaithroyd Lane as you enter it from Southowram Bank
Continuing on the bottom side of the road. Same house but looking north.
We have reached Trooper Lane. On the opposite side of the road we have Blaithroyd Farm.
There was also a pub called 'New Road Hotel' aka 'New Road Inn' at 66 Blaithroyd Lane (probably at the junction with Trooper Lane) which opened in 1869 and closed in 1949.
We now view the top side of Blaithroyd Lane on our way back towards Southowram Bank.
Half way on Blaithroyd (top side)
E Nicholl's Grocer , Castlemaine Place, Blaithroyd Lane
We now know that E.Nicholl's grocers was on the top side of Blaithroyd at the bottom of the drive up to Castlemaine House. A continuation of the path/road to the left, that goes behind the houses, can be seen in the picture below.
Castlemaine House was once known as Blaithroyd Working Mens Club
Read the story of Castlemaine House and Wallace Bentley here.
The above picture shows the buildings on the top side of the road whilst the picture below show the other side of these buildings which continued up the Bank.
The building at the top of this row is the back of Castlemaine House, which is the only building that still stands from those in this picture.
Top of Southowram Old Bank.
This was the entrance to Fees Builders at one time. The company built the 1950s houses on Blaithroyd Lane.
Trooper Lane, Pit Hill, Caddy Field and the Stoney Royd area. Please feel free to add your own input by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
An old Courier photo of Water Lane looking at the Trooper Lane area.
Here we can see Stoney Royd Fever hospital in the foreground with the Caddy Field school behind it and Trooper Lane winding up towards Blaithroyd Lane which runs along the picture 3/4 of the way up.
Pit Hill was so called due to all the mining in this area.
Trooper Lane Co-op
Past and present.
High Grove Place
High Grove Lane - Holly Mount
return to Southowram Blog Page 3
advance to Southowram Blog Page 5