The main road at Bank Top can be seen running from left(Halifax side)to right with the Manor House pub prominent near to the centre. The top of Trooper Lane reaches Blaithroyd Lane before bending past it (bottom left) and Higgin Lane bends bottom right of the photo.
Southowram Primitive Methodist Chapel. This was just below the Manor House pub. Built in 1857 with classrooms added in 1874.
The chapels' Graveyard when the wall collapsed and graves were in the road.
House of 1678 with range of 1767 to North forming a courtyard plan. Hammer-
dressed stone, stone slate roof. Main front of C17 house faces north into
courtyard, has through passage plan, double pile. Doorway with moulded surround
at left hand end and depressed Tudor lintel engraved 'SI 1678' with small 2-
light window, false arched heads, and curved head which terminates string which
carries over whole facade. The remaining windows are double chamfered mullioned
and transomed of 12 lights (originally 20) with 12-light window over, next to it
a 10-light to right, with 2 cross windows under. Over cross passage, another.
Opposite side of courtyard has segmental cart entry with dropped keystone, dated
1767 with initials '- SI'. South front has main feature of doorway with
pulvinated frieze. The east gable front, which has been raised, has various
blocked openings and a columbarium, and 4 bays of the C18 range with flat faced
mullion windows of 4 lights, some reduced to 2. The facade to Marsh Lane has
more of the same, mostly altered.
This was also the home of the 'Travellers Rest' a beer-house.
Although this picture says Law Lane - it isn't. It is actually South Cliffe at Bank Top.
Front of back to back terraces.
Front were Bank Top whilst the back street is Merrion Street
Back of terraces
Front of terraces (Bank Top)
Blagbrough and Hebblethwaite's (Slide Show)
Blue Bell pub which burned down (middle building on the right) with the chippie in front. The back building is still there today.
Rene's Hairdressers (front left), Blue Bell (behind), Cock and Bottle (right).
Trams had made the tricky journey up Southowram Bank, as the rails and the overhead wires indicate. But at Bank Top, horse and cart was still a popular way of getting around.
The building at the bottom of Higgin Lane was known as the 'Gentlemans Parliament' where men would often debate subjects of the period, often whilst waiting for the tram or bus.
Holt's pork pies were made to Mrs Nancy Morton's own recipe and were a side line to her husband's butcher's business which began in 1938.
Mr Clifford Morton began his business in a little wooden shop (pictured above) near to the Cock and Bottle before selling out to his former apprentice George Holt (pictured right) along with the famous recipe.
According to an 1854 map, Upper Marsh was originally called Clay Farm
return to Southowram Blog Page 5
advance to Southowram Blog Page 7