Commercial Street wasn't built until as late as 1880 after it was authorized by the 1853 Improvement Act. The name seems to have been a compromise after 'New South Street' and 'Oxford Street' had been turned down.
Prescott Fountain >>>>>>>>>>>>
According to this map of 1835, Commercial Street and Huddersfield Road didn't exist. Ward's End, the house in the top picture existed but behind it was a large field(centre). No Victoria Theatre or picture houses or banks, but the Post Office is there. Much of the rest of the town roads as we know them can also be seen. So, Commercial Street is a comparatively new road.
The site of Hebble Motor Services later became ABC cinemas
Same scene, different day
Commercial Street, Halifax, in 1902, the year after the Victoria Hall, now the Victoria Theatre, opened. 'The construction of the Victoria Hall completed the newest and grandest of Halifax's late Victorian thoroughfares.'
The first electric street light in town was in front of the Post Office
View from the tram
Jubilee Day, 9th June 1898. Opening of the tramways
Post Office c1905
The General Post Office was opened on June 23rd, 1887 and the Victoria Hall on February 8th, 1901. The organ in the Victoria Hall was presented to the people of Halifax by Miss Elizabeth Porter of Savile Royd as a memorial to her brother, Samuel Porter.
Read more about the Post Office
Crown Street (left) - Hall End corner looking towards Waterhouse Street(right)
This picture was taken in 1888, just after the Penny Bank had been completed at the corner of John Street (turreted roof - top centre)