Ogden Water has been a regular tourist spot for relaxing or a pleasant walk with scenery to savour for many years.
Or, as the Ogden website puts it,
When Ogden reservoir was built by Halifax Corporation, it had a profound effect on the people of Halifax. As well as providing the main source of water for the town, it also created an early visitor attraction and amenity where the people of Halifax would come to take the air and enjoy the scenery.
Almost 150 years later, Ogden Water is now a Country Park and Local Nature Reserve, attracting around 300,000 visitors a year. It is one of the top Green Flag awarded sites in the whole of Yorkshire, and is seen as one of the most progressive and forward looking country parks. Ogden is held in high regard by the people of Halifax which evokes strong feelings of ownership from the people of the town.
A reservoir was proposed in 1826 when mills on the Hebble Brook had to be closed because the water supply had dried up. However, local mill owners could not afford the estimated cost of £3,550.
This was the first reservoir for Halifax, built at a cost of £94,000 between 1854 and 1858, when Halifax Corporation became responsible for supplying the town with water – a consequence of William Ranger's report and the Halifax Act of 1853. The stone-laying ceremony took place on 11th August 1854. It was designed by J. F. Bateman. It covers 35 acres and has a capacity of 222 million gallons 500 men worked on the construction.
Local mills received about 1 million gallons from the reservoir during the working day. During dry spells, when the reservoir failed to supply this quantity, mill-owners demanded compensation of around £5,500. The dam is 72 ft high. The area became a popular local beauty spot and has been called Little Switzerland.
Thanks to Malcolm Bull's website