The Nags Head Inn was originally a home called 'Hilltop House' and stood at the corner of King Cross Lane (number 68) and Lord Street next door to Hopwood Hall.
Hilltop House was bought in 1708 by William Hopwood, who moved from Rastrick and lived in it until Hopwood Hall was built. It's not sure when the building became an inn, but it was rebuilt and licensed by 1845. Just before the rebuilt building was demolished in 1884, for road widening, it was one of 26 licensed houses within 300 yards of Bull Green
The sketch above by H.R.Oddy clearly shows that part of the inn was occupied by a butcher's shop, while the peeling plaster from the walls shows that it must have been on it's last legs at the time.
(thanks to Halifax Courier for information)
During repair work on a chimney in July 1867, an orange banner with a blue border was discovered concealed in a hole. This was dated 1688 and bore a picture of the Protestant King William III on horseback with the mottoes
Deliver from Church and State and
To the glorious memory of 1688 and 1690
In the corners were smaller devices, and on each side were written the names of the places where the English were victorious, including the Boyne, Anglicum, Deny and Enniskillen.
(Malcolm Bulls Calderdale Companion)
Return to Pubs E-zine page
Return to Home page