Halifax Pubs E-zine 5

Halifax Pubs E-zine 5

Go to Halifax Pub E-zine Edition No. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Lord Nelson, High Street, Luddenden

Originally a house dated 1634 GCP for Gregory Patchett, when it was known as Newhouse. An inscription Dairy over a window suggests that there was a farm here at some point.

In the mid-18th century, it was a pub called the White Swan. It was renamed the Lord Nelson after the Battle of Trafalgar [1805]. The inn had its own Luddenden Library – established in 1776 – with a collection of 1000 books donated by the local minister.

Branwell Bronte was a regular when he worked at Luddenden Station and he had his favourite chair here. It was a Stocks pub [1866].

It is said that...

there is (or was?) a chair in the pub known as the Mayor's Chair; If anyone should sit upon it – by accident or deliberately – they are obliged to buy the whole pub a round of drinks

When St Mary's Church was being rebuilt [1804-1816], baptisms were held at the pub.


Old Bailey / George and Dragon, Elland

Castlegate, Huddersfield Road. Built by Thomas Casson on land known as Sheep Croft and he was the first landlord in 1845.

The licence was transferred here from the Bird in Hand. The pub was owned by Joseph Carter who sold it to Whitaker's in 1896. The George and Dragon was later known as the Old Bailey.


Calder and Hebble

The inn stood on an island of land – surrounded by 3 roads – near the Salterhebble Branch of the Calder and Hebble Navigation. The building was demolished in1997 when the road junction was reconstructured.

The first registered landlord was recorded as Thomas Fletcher in the early 1800's. 


Pubs of Yesteryear continued Part 3

1901 - The 'Horse and Trumpet', 18 New Bank was the first casualty of the 20th century. It's licence was transferred to the West End Hotel. It was a Whitaker pub.

In 1901, Whitaker's offered to surrender the licences of the Horse & Trumpet and the California in order to be granted a licence for their new West End Hotel

I have no photo of the Horse and Trumpet but this is a photo of the West End Hotel where the licence was transferred to.


1901 - Bath Parade Tavern, 11 South Parade/Shaw Syke.  Aka The Bath Tavern and Bath Street Tavern.

Built around 1790. The pub stood near Lilly Lane Baths. In 1795, it was the meeting place for the Lodge of Probity. The 1851 census suggests that it was a lodging house, rather than an Inn at that time. 

The pub closed in 1901 and the licence was transferred to the Brown Cow Hotel (but which one?)

no photo


1901 -  The California Inn, 20 Brinton Terrace which had only opened in 1897.

This would have been the street facing the back of the old Halifax Workhouse. This area was known as California.

no photo


1902 - There doesn't appear to be any pub closures in 1902 


1903 - Uncle Tom's Cabin, 16 Garden Street/2 Higgins Place, was the first to close in this year.

 no photo


1903 - Miner's Arms Tavern, 2 Bridge Street East, Cripplegate

First recorded landlord in 1871

no photo


1903 - Forester's Arms, Brook Street, Luddenden

no photo


1903 - Moon Inn, 3 Smithy Street which stood next to the Sun Inn (seen below)

Pubs of Yesteryear will continue in the next edition.

Do you have any photos to fill the ones missing?


Star, Orange Street

The Star Hotel was on the corner of Weymouth Street and 18 Orange Street. Originally a beer house, it later became a Whitakers pub. It survived for many years after other buildings around it were demolished in the 1960s, before finally closing in 1998. It remained closed until finally being demolished in 2008.

The top floor was home to Halifax Star Boxing Club for many years. This was founded by Bob 'The Tiger' Ennis in the 1940s before the club moved to Workout Warehouse in Square Road.

A pub stood here since at least 1841 when John Appleyard was the landlord

Star Hotel, front right

Today there is a hotel in it's place


Sun Dial Inn, Brighouse


Allan Fold

King Cross. The pub was designed by Jackson and Fox for Websters Brewery. It opened on 4th March (or 5th April) 1939 to replace the nearby Brown Cow, Burnley Road.

Part of the retaining wall comes from Allan Fold House which stood on the site. The wall is dated 1654 and IMAW, and is listed.

In 1983, it was renamed 'Second Best'. It reverted to Allan Fold when it was bought by John Smith's Tadcaster brewery in 1986. In 2011, it was known as the Hills View Hotel and in 2018, it was a private house. Now it is "Pollino" Italian restaurant.

Allan Fold advert from 1939


Grayston Unity

The Grayston Unity is an independent bar owned by folks who live in Halifax. It's in a building that dates back to the 1860s (originally opened as a County Court), take a look at the crest on the corner of the building. Opposite the bar is the glorious Halifax Town Hall (anyone can go in to take a look), designed by the architect whose next job was the Houses of Parliament. The bar itself is in a bit that used to be for carriages to enter.  A Wesleyan Chapel built in the 18th Century sat on the adjoining car park until the 1950s. 

The  bar itself is small but you'll find it a friendly place where you can get a lovely drink in a unique setting. Local suppliers are used often. Call in for a coffee if you fancy.

During the week and on occasional Sunday’s there's lots going on (see our events section on our Facebook page). Live music takes place in our back room (the UK’s smallest music venue) and in the backyard in the summer months. We also hold regular talks nights (on social, cultural, history, sport and music topics). In addition, we hold a poetry slam night, spoken word festival, a monthly music quiz night, , outdoor cinema in the backyard and the occasional bit of theatre.

We also co-founders of the www.halifaxfestivalofwords.com which is annual festival which celebrates language through music, spoken word, author talks, Q&As and lots more. This we do with The Book Corner, in spaces across the town.

Since opening in May 2016 we have been awarded the Yorkshire Post Pub of the Week (https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/what-s-on/dining-out/pub-of-the-week-the-grayston-unity-halifax-1-8299859) and Calderdale CAMRA Pub of the Season. We are in the 2018 and 2019 CAMRA Good Beer Guide. We are the 2018 Parliamentary Pub of the Year for Yorkshire & Humberside. We also received the 'Bar of the Year 2018' award in the Halifax Courier Business Awards. In the UK top 10 of pubs with live music (The Guardian).

Music is very important to us and you can expect an eclectic mix of background music, it is just that as our bar is about conversations.

Grayston was my mother’s family name and it is used in memory of her. Until the 1950s members of her family owned a brewery in the centre of Keighley and their pubs included the Turkey Inn at Goose Eye. Unity? Well, we believe in the goodwill of people and being together as one. In September 2019 we opened our 2nd place, Meandering Bear, 5 mins walk away.

Taken from the Grayston Unity website https://www.thegraystonunity.co.uk/


Go to Halifax Pub E-zine Edition No. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5