Halifax Pubs E-zine 3
Go to Halifax Pub E-zine Edition No. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Punch Bowl, Huddersfield Road, Salterhebble
The earliest recorded landlord was Thomas Earnshaw in 1829.
John Aspinall, who was the registered landlord from 1841 to 1851, apparently arrived, with his family, in Sydney, Australia aboard the Mary Ann in 1857, but on arrival the parents of both John and Sarah Aspinall were shown as dead.
On 21st January, 1863, Robert Mitchell was being disorderly at the pub, and Sarah Wilkinson, the landlord's wife, asked him to leave. He refused and struck Sarah on the chest and head. She became sick and ill. She was found dead in bed the next morning. Robert Mitchell was charged with manslaughter.
The tram would stop here and people would climb the hill to the Halifax Zoo, which you can see advertised on the pub wall(picture above). This would have been when the zoo was in it's prime and tens of thousands of visitors from miles around were attracted.
Halifax Evening Courier - Monday 07 March 1921
Halifax Pubs of Yesteryear Part 1
To do a survey of pubs about 300 years ago must have been a daunting task. So, to try and look back to those days from today is even harder.
To categorise them into pub's, inn's, ale-houses, taverns, hotels and restaurant's. can't have been an easy start. Then you have some pubs or beer-houses that didn't seem to even have a name, whilst many pubs had several names or nicknames which were more popular than their real names. An example today would be the Brass Cat.
Brass Cat (or 'Cat and Fiddle' or Golden Lion) centre of photo
This was originally called the Golden Lion but, everyone called it the Brass Cat, which eventually became it's real name. It is now called the Cat and Fiddle but everyone still knows it as the Brass Cat. Take the Queen's Head, Keighley Road, Illingworth. All locals know it as the 'Hen's Face'. To add to this, there is also the problem of pubs with different entrances off different addresses (so, don't count them twice).
To make a list of old Halifax pubs will always have these problems but here is an attempt to list pubs that closed many moons ago, with help of some previous research. I will try and update this list (with your help), whenever new information comes to light, along with pictures and photos whenever possible.
Pubs of yesteryear
1892 saw the closure of 5 pubs
Shoulder of Mutton in Russell Street
aka Old Shoulder of Mutton
Landlord in 1822 was Daniel Sugden
11 Russell Street / 14 Petticoat Lane.
Opened in 1819.
General Havelock in Russell Street
A Stocks pub
Turk's Head in Old Market
This was originally a mediæval house cased in stone in the
It was demolished in 1890, together with the 'House at the Maypole' which stood next door.
The passageway to the 'Turk's Head' was just below the'House at the Maypole', which is just left of centre picture
Church Tavern, 1 Church Yard, above the Parish Church
This was a timber framed building – the Old Hall – which
stood next to the Moot Hall and adjacent to Parish Church on the site now occupied by the Sunday School.
The pub closed in 1892.
It was demolished in 1898
Site of the Church Tavern
Greyhound Inn in Southgate
Greyhound Inn is to the left of this picture with the White Horse in the centre
The Greyhound Inn is pictured on the corner of Albion Street and was demolished in 1892 when the market buildings were built.
Replaced by the Borough Market
1893 saw the closure of 1 pub
Duke of York, 26 Russell Street/ Petticoat Lane
It was at the bottom of Russell Street, facing the Saddle Hotel
In August 1868, under the terms of the Halifax Improvements Act, the pub applied for, but was refused, a music and dancing licence
The area of Duke of York, Saddle Inn and the Wheatsheaf
In 1895 we saw the closure of The Peacock Inn, Union Street although this was rebuilt into the new Borough Market. The beer house was granted a license in 1835 and the first recorded landlord was James Nicholls in 1837.
Peacock Inn at the bottom left corner of the market
The New Bank Tavern, New Bank also closed in 1895. This pub was first recorded in 1868, when it was granted a music and dance licence.
Does anyone have a picture of the New Bank Tavern?
The Cross Hills Tavern at 21 - 23 Cross Hills, also closed in 1895. This would have been approaching dean Clough from Northgate. The first registered landlord was Charles Greenwood in 1875.
Does anyone have a picture of the Cross Hills Tavern?
The Exchange closed. This was more of a restaurant(better class of tavern) than a pub. This was at 29 Northgate. This would have stood next door to 'Guitar Zone' today on Northgate.
In 1896 was the Flour Society Inn, 15 Charles Street. This was also known as Barracks Tavern. The land was actually Halifax Infirmary and Dispensary, which stood at the top of Causeway (which leads down to the Parish Church), but when that moved to Harrison Road, the land became Barracks.
The first registered landlord was James Smith in 1855. The premises became an Inn and a lodging house before closing in 1896.
The Marquis of Granby Inn closed at 7-9 Copper Street/10 Swine Market. The first registered landlord was James Maud in 1822. The licence was transferred to the Castle Inn, Hanson Lane.
Continued in our next E-zine
Malt Shovel, Northgate, Halifax
2 Ann Street, Northgate. Built in 1629.
The landlord sold 2d tokens for admission to the pub's Music and Picture Gallery .
The pub was demolished in 1824 and rebuilt further back when the road was widened.
The Inn still had the Music & Picture Gallery when Benjamin Milne was licensee [1850s].
The pub closed in 1913 and was demolished.
Queens Road Hotel
229 Pellon Lane / Queens Road
The Hotel is recorded in 1869, when Aaron Sutcliffe of the Queens Road Hotel was buried at Christ Church, Pellon [7th September 1869] It was a Fielding pub, then it was a Webster's pub . After alterations in 1995, it was known as the Queens Road End and the pub closed in 2000. In 2003, it was converted into the Islamic Education Centre linked to the Madni Mosque.
Go to Halifax Pub E-zine Edition No. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
If you have enjoyed your visit to this website, please spread the word by clicking the 'like' and 'share' buttons below. Thank you