The City was generally regarded as the mapped area above and was a tight network of squalid, terraced housing for the lower class workers, usually working in the mills and factories around the bottom of Pellon Lane and at the Dean Clough mills.
The main road on the right of the photo is Pellon Lane (bottom of picture travels up towards town) and some of 'The City' can be seen to the left of it.
Pellon Lane runs from left to right (towards town) in the top half of the picture.
top - North Bridge, centre - Corporation Street(left to right)
Cock O' The North brewery
Looking up Pellon Lane with the Grand Junction Hotel on the left and Ebenezer Primitive Methodist Church on the right
The big, blackened, dominating building in the centre of picture was known as Odd Fellows Hall in St. James's Road and was remodelled in 1905 and opened by Mr B.T Hall, secretary of the Working Men's Club and Institute on December 16th, 1905 as the Halifax Friendly and Trades Societies' Club. Previously the club had headquarters in Weymouth Street and the removal to Odd Fellows Hall was a very brave step on the part of the directors of the club. The capital outlay involved in the removal was around £10,000 and at the time it was described as the largest club of it's kind in the UK, with membership of between 17,000 and 18,000.
Chief interest in the club lied in it's association with the Halifax Friendlies Societies for whom it provided the headquarters for many of the town's Friendly Societies. The large hall, which in former years was the People's Palace, a variety theatre, was used as a cinema in the early days of film. For a number of years it operated as a club before being taken over by a private licensee. It was also home to the Royal Hotel and had stables, a coach house and several bedrooms.
The building became the Alhambra cinema in 1920 and it was used for public meetings and lectures and also had a restaurant and bar. There was also a Vaults bar.
It closed in 1959 and was demolished in 1963.
First buses moved into and through Cross Field bus station in the mid-fifties, more than a decade and a half after the opening of the Odeon on the 'City' site
The 4 pictures above show a clear time lapse of the 'Before and After' demolition views of the St. James's Road area.
Looking in the opposite direction
There was a vaults bar in the 1950's. It was demolished in 1963.
St James's Church, pictured behind the shop in the photo above, was at one time, the third oldest church in Halifax, after the Parish church and the Holy Trinity. For many years, the first two churches could cope with the religious needs of the town, but when the Rev Titus Knight became the vicar of Halifax he set about the task of providing for the growing population of the town and decided the town needed five churches.
Plans for the erection of St. James's were not completed until Archdeacon Musgrave became vicar of Halifax. It was opened for public worship on Jan 2nd 1832. It's architecture is decidedly original, although it should be pointed out that the first plan that the architect submitted was for a building of singular beauty. Funds were lacking, however, and the ecclesiastical authorities had to dcall for less pretentious plans.
Stannary Inn on the junction of 2 Green Lane and Stannary Lane. There was also a brewery here in cyyages known as Seedlings Mount. Opened in 1859 and closed in 1967 as part of the Burdock Way construction.
South Darley Street
South Darley Street and Smiths Arms
The City residents
Stannary Lane looking down towards Dean Clough (drawing by John.L.Berbiers)
Green Hill Terrace in the Green Lane area between Stannary and Pellon Lane.
Green Hill Tavern was at 100 Pellon Lane. It opened in 1877 and closed in 1967.
The pub on the right is also Green Hill Tavern with 'The Weston' pub central.
Weston Hotel or Western Hotel as it was known. Abel Street / 2 Lansdowne Place, Pellon Lane.
J.Rhodes (pawnbrokers) on St.James's Road at the junction with Fleet Street (where the benefits office now stands).
A.Farrar upholsterers at 28 St.James's Road
on the left was the fish and chip shop run by M.Dolphin
Barbers shop, coal merchants Harries and Co, L.Arnott's ladies' and gents' tailors, I.Pollard's fish, fruit and poultry shop and a butchers offering 'choice horse flesh'.