If we head from the top of Woolshops we have Old Market to our left.
J S Driver's Stores was a fish and fruit dealers and was actually number 1 Woolshops
The above two pictures are looking back towards Woolshops
Waggoners Inn 13/15 Northgate in 1840 where the artist of this picture Joseph Rideal Smith was born. The horses and cart on the left are pulling in to Northgate yard. Crossley Street didn't exist then.
At 21 Northgate, stood the 'Royal Sovereigns' from 1822 until 1910 but it may have been nearer North Bridge than the address here suggests.
The second building on was the 'Roebuck' pub, 26 Northgate, also known as The Buck. This opened in 1735 and closed in 1966.
To the right of 'Top Town Fabrics' was Malt Shovel Yard. Here once stood the 'Malt Shovel' many years ago(see below)
At the top of this picture the vertical roads from right to left are Broad Street(see zebra crossings, Wade Street(where the bus on Crossley Street is facing), Ann Street(more prominent half way down), Malt Shovel Yard (top half where cars are parked) and Gaol Lane to the left of the large mill)
We now have a crossroads with Crossley Street to our left and Wade Street to our right.
Brewers Cellar at 8 Wade Street was built in 1629 and closed in 1975. There was a stone relief carving of a malt shovel was taken from the
neighbouring Malt Shovel and built into the wall of the
Broad Street is next on our left then the Unitarian Chapel opposite on the right at the top of Victoria Street.
'Far East' (pictured above) was the first Chinese restaurant in town.
The picture above is a very early Winding Road in 1810.
Now we reach the junction of Portland Street left and Winding Road right. Portland Street is now home to Broad Street Plaza.
In between Weymouth Street and North Parade was the huge central stores of Halifax Industrial Society(Co-op Stores).
Halifax Industrial Society again
Part of Northgate running from left to right towards North Bridge.
The road running from centre of picture towards the top of picture was North Parade
The road to the bottom left of the picture was Foundry Street. At the top of here once stood 'The Foundry' beerhouse. This was granted a music and dancing license in 1868. It closed in 1905.
The small road running straight up from the bottom-centre of the picture was Grove Street and at the top of here was the Bridge Tavern at 84 Northgate (opened in 1822 and closed in 1940).
The next road along (next to the waste land) was Park Street which curved back round to Foundry Street.
The Commercial at 93 Northgate opened in 1918 and closed in 1973.
The Commercial Hotel left and on the right is Park Street.
The above picture shows North 'Bridge Tavern', 84 Northgate.
At the bottom of the street where the wagon is (Park Street/North Bridge Street) was the 'Travellers Rest' beerhouse which opened in 1879 and closed in 1922.
Last right before North Bridge(straight ahead) is North Bridge Street and Crosshills veers off to the left towards Dean Clough.
The Globe Hotel beer house at the back of the Grand Theatre at 3 North Bridge Street. This opened in 1897 and closed in April 1958.
Looking back towards town from Crosshills
Return to Halifax History Tour