Halifax Pubs Past and Present Ro
Alphabetical list of
Robin Hood - 20/24 Wakefield Road/Wood Street/Phoenix Bridge, Brighouse. Demolished in 2017
Robin Hood - Cragg Vale
Robin Hood - Pecket Well, Old Town
Fact - 17th century coaching inn.
Rock - New Street, Southowram
Fact - changed name to 'Jubilee' in 1887. Is now a childrens nursery
(The)Rock Inn Hotel - 22 Broad Carr, Holywell Green HX4 9BS
Fact - Now known as 'Churchills'
The Rock bars are on two levels, the lower one being the original inn, built in 1705. The upper bar formed from two adjoining cottages
Rock Tavern - Upper Edge, Dewsbury Road, Elland HX5 9JU
Rocky Road to Dublin - Somewhere near Clarke Bridge
Roebuck - 26 Northgate, Halifax (opened in 1735 and closed in 1966)
Fact - aka 'The Buck'
Where? Opposite 'Guitar zone' café. Top of bus station (left building in photo)
Roebuck - Portsmouth, Todmorden (built in 1770)
Rook Hotel - 166 Hanson Lane/288 Queens Road, Pellon
Rook Tavern - Southowram
Rope and Anchor - 80-86 Roomfield Lane/132 Halifax Road, Todmorden
Fact - aka 'The Anchor'
Ropers - 11 Lee Bridge, Halifax (closed in 1946)
Rose and Crown - 35 Cote Hill, Halifax (opened in 1874 and closed and demolished in 1941)
Rose and Crown - 1-2 Cheapside/Southgate, Halifax (opened in 1735 and closed in 1956)
Fact - Replaced by Marks and Spencers store. Formerly known as 'House at the Nook'
Rose and Crown - Swinemarket, Halifax
Fact - Became the 'Cooper's Arms' and then the 'Sportsman'. Now called 'The Gundog'
Rose and Crown - Northgate, Elland (dated 1682 derelict since 2007)
Fact - Once the home for the church clergy. Since the 1980s has been known as 'The Outside Inn', 'Benny's', 'Fakers', and 'De Lacys'.
Rose and Crown - 98 Rochdale Road, Greetland HX4 8HR Phone: 01422373017 (Built in 1725)
Rose and Crown - 2 Mill Lane, Mixenden
Fact - Became 'Coach and Horses', 'Crown and Anchor' and 'Hebble Brook'. Now housing.
Rose and Crown - Oldham Road, Ripponden (opened in 1888 and closed in 1911)
Fact - was originally the Ripponden Co-op society store
Rose and Crown - 13 Siddal Street, Siddal
Rose and Crown - High Street, Bowling Green Road, Stainland HX4 9PF Phone: 01422374313
Rose and Crown - Castle Clough/Halifax Road, Todmorden
Fact - became 'Big D's Biker's Bar'
Rose and Crown - Lydgate, Todmorden
Rosie O'Grady's - (See Yates's Wine Lodge)
Rose Tree Inn - Clark Bridge, Halifax
Landlord lost the license in 1869 due to premises being frequented by prostitutes
Round Hill - Rastrick
Round House - 2 Clifton Road, King Street, Brighouse (Built in 1831 and closed in 2000)
Fact - aka 'Roundabout House, 'Oddfellows Arms' and then 'Round Tavern'
Round Hill - Clough Lane, Rastrick
Roxy Venue - Wharf Street, Sowerby Bridge HX6 2AE Phone: 01422832228
Royal Engineers - 2 Hangram Street/36 Bradford Road, Brighouse (closed in 1965)
Fact - aka 'Engineers'
Royal George - 22 Southgate, Elland (Closed in 1912)
Royal George - Lydgate/Towngate, Midgley (opened in 1902 and closed in 1919)
Royal George - 17 Rochdale Road/Church Street, Todmorden (built in late 1700s)
Royal George - 351 Halifax Road/Castle Street, Todmorden
Royal Hotel - 31-33 Hall Street, Halifax (opened in 1815 and closed in 1969)
(The) Royal Hotel - Upper Washer Lane, Pye Nest, Halifax
Fact - aka 'The Folly' and 'Wainhouse Tavern'
Royal Hotel - Bradford Road, Brighouse (Closed in 1960s)
Where - Now where Sainsburys stands
Royal Hotel - 1 Huddersfield Road/Mill Lane, Brighouse (built in 1839 and demolished in 1973 for new road layout)
Royal Hotel - Briggate/Elland Bridge, Elland (designed in 1865)
Fact - became 'The Bridge' and is now a wellbeing therapy centre
Royal Hotel/Oddfellows Hall - Victoria Street/19-21 St.James's Road, Halifax (Opened in 1863 and Closed in 1962. Demolished in 1963).
Royal Hotel - Mytholmroyd
Royal Hotel - Sowerby Street, Sowerby Bridge HX6 3AT Phone: 01422831406 (built about 1850)
Fact - Now flats. Aka 'The Royal Commercial & Family Hotel' & 'Posting House' and 'The Royal Commercial Inn'
photo by Nick Lambert
Royal Hotel - Rishworth (see The Malthouse)
Royal Oak - Barkisland
Fact - now Clayhouse Farm
Royal Oak - 7 Commercial Street, Brighouse (closed in 1936)
Royal Oak - Primrose Street, Claremount, Halifax
Royal Oak Inn - Lower Edge Road, Elland
Fact - now housing. Once the home of Lower Edge Bowling Club
Royal Oak - 1 Clare Road, Halifax (demolished in 1929 and re-built in 1931 using materials from HMS Newcastle)
Fact - Aka 'Tap and Spile' and now known as 'Dirty Dicks'
Royal Oak - 126 Haugh Shaw Road / Paradise Row / Whitehead's Buildings, King Cross (demolished in 1970s for Aachen Way)
Royal Oak - Acre Lane, Luddenden Foot
Royal Oak - Burnley Road, Mytholmroyd (closed in 1970s)
Fact - Now flats
Royal Oak - Shibden Head Lane, Ambler Thorn, Queensbury
Royal Oak - Sowerby Bridge
Royal Oak - 6 Holywell Green, Burrwood, Stainland (opened in 1834 and closed in 1916)
Royal Oak - 505 Springside, Todmorden
Royal Sovereigns - 21 Northgate, Bridge Street, North Bridge, Halifax (opened in 1822 and closed in 1910)
Landlord Henry North lost the license in 1869 due to premises being frequented by prostitutes
Ruby's - Wyke (see Wyke Lion)
Running Man - Pellon Lane, Halifax HX1 5QN (Opened in 1971)
Fact - Built on the site of the demolished 'Dusty Miller' which closed in 1968)
Rushcart - Sowerby Green, Sowerby
Fact - previously called 'The Star'
Alphabetical list of