The following link tells the story of Walterclough Hall .... read more
Pier Head was down Stoney Lane from Malt Shovel, 2 cottages were at Pier Head originally built for the workers who operated the pulley system for the coal and coke etc pulled across the valley. This wooden pit head structure with winding gear and an open cage. This is not the one which operated to Hove edge from the 1914 war until the 1950s but a previous one operating to Pier Head. Here they were picked up by horse and cart.
THE WALTERCLOUGH TRAMWAY. – This much talked of tramway from Waterclough pit to Barker-royd, Southowram, was completed yesterday afternoon, and the trial which was made of it was most successful. Unlike the ordinary tramways, the "lines" are suspended in the air, and carry their freight at an elevation of over thirty feet. It may be described as consisting of an endless wire rope, supported on a series of pulleys carried by substantial posts, which are about 300 feet apart. This rope passes at one end of the line round a large wheel which is fixed horizontally, and which is driven by the water-wheel a little below the pit. The speed at which the wire rope travels is about four miles an hour. The buckets in which the coal is carried are hung on the rope at the loading end, the attachment consisting of a pendant of a peculiar shape, which maintains the load in perfect equilibrium, and at the same time enables it to pass the supporting pulleys with ease. At the other end of the line a similar arrangement exists as at the loading end, by which the buckets can be run on to a rail so as to free them from the rope, which is not required to be stopped. When emptied the buckets can be run round the wheel, and on to the return rope, in the same manner that they were taken off. The length of the tramway is 420 yards, and the rise from the pit to Barker-royd is 100 yards. We understand that at last two men ventured on the rope, and was safely carried round. By this arrangement, coal can be carried to the top at the rate of about a ton in five minutes. The tramway has been erected by the London Tramway Company, under the superintendence of Mr Gray, the engineer. Our readers should avail themselves of a visit to the place as it is a great curiosity.
The Red Beck or Brook enters the township near Mytholm, and forms the boundary from thence to Brookfoot. The valley is fertile and picturesque. On the Hipperholme side immense ‘stone-barings’ imposingly overhang the secluded farms, and threaten to overwhelm them. This hill side was formerly a wood, and is still known as Wood Bottom. A walk up this valley in Spring is truly delightful, and we have little sympathy with one of whom it may be said – “A primrose on the river’s brim, A yellow primrose is to him, And it is nothing more’
Wood End is near Hipperholme station, it was formerly a small farm-house, and has recently been rebuilt. The ‘barings’ from the stone quarries having given way, the barn had to be taken down.
Far Wood Bottom bears the date W.B.M. 1749, £10 a year from this farm is paid in Southowram Church. Wood Nook is a small house bearing on the mantel-piece thr date P/T. 1628 – It belongs to the Listers of Shibden Hall. Middle Wood Bottom belongs also to the Listers, date I.M.L. 1713. But the back part of the house is older. Sutcliffes, and their relatives the Sowdens, have lived here since 1780. The tenants previous to 1780 are reported to have all died of the plague, except the master of the house.
Near Wood Bottom farm formerly belonged to Mr. Thompson of Southowram.
from Yorkshire Indexers
Old Dumb Mill stands at the far end of Walterclough, just before you reach Hipperholme. Hipperholme brewery can be seen in the background.
Return to Southowram History
Return to Home page